The town-site of Toodyay is located approximately 85 kilometres east of Perth – a short drive from the metropolitan area. The name is believed to be derived from the Aboriginal word “Duidgee” meaning “place of plenty” which refers to the richness and fertility of the region.
Toodyay was founded in 1831 by Ensign Dale on the banks of the Avon River, five kilometres west of the present location. Due to flooding, the town was moved to its current site in 1860 and named “Newcastle” after Lord Lincoln, Duke of Newcastle. In 1911 the name Toodyay was adopted to avoid postal confusion with Newcastle in New South Wales. Toodyay is classified as a Historic Town by the National Trust, and displays fine examples of 19th century architecture reflecting the early convict era. Many ...